a campfire in a
Wanna add something?
take a moment and submit
it using the form below. Also see below what other
visitors have said.
I'm not a great fan of wood burning camp stoves. I separate campfire
from stoves. Campfire is something I always enjoy, but when I hike, a
wood camp stove isn’t my cup of tea. You will see below that this
method got lots of advantages but
the two disadvantages I can't overcome are:
- It makes everything smell like a
campfire. Including gear and clothes.
- The fuel is not always available. (try to find woods on the
summit of a
mountain in the middle of the desert…)
BUT –wood camp stoves are incomparable in…
How does it work?
Not rocket science…
…Simply fill up the stove in woods and light it.
portable wood stoves got holes in the bottom for fresh air to run in.
This helps the wood to burn better even though it is stuffed in a
- Fuel is for free
- Usually low overall weight (since you
carry no fuel)
- Low cost
- Can be used to warm you up
- It's real fire after all, which is
always fun to gaze at…
- You might get stuck with no fuel
- Makes smoke like a campfire
- Might leave trace
- Need continuous care during cooking
- Some of the stoves are relatively big
- Will turn all cookware black and smelly
- Require some campfire skills in order
Generally speaking, the stoves can be divided into two types:
(trailstove on the image below)
- A simple cylinder can with holes:
(fire spout on the image below)
- A bunch of metal plates you should
Both types can be built at home with minimum knowledge
One thing to note: no significant well known brand. lots of
The simple cylinders:
The assembled plates
- Magic flame stove
for it if you don’t mind the smell and if the continuous feeding
doesn’t intimidate you. Just keep in mind that you have to gather the
fuel along the trek if you think that this might be an issue at the end
of the day.
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click on the links below to read about some great stoves. They were all recommended by other visitors to this page.
TiRStove 450g titanium rocket stove Not rated yet
Key features :
Long life, lifetime
Reliable, work in all weathers
Lightweight, 350-500 …